Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, June 14, 2007

My Beginnings and the soy sauce with rice


I was born on September 6, 1978. I am the second child in my family. I have four other brothers and one sister. I was raised in a small city in the Philippines called Baguio. When I was younger, my family used to live in a shanty in a land owned by the government but which my dad was given the right to own eventually. A squatter's area though in my place of birth is a little bit different from the ones we see here in Manila. I can say we are luckier in my hometown because there is more space to breathe and appreciate the beauty of nature around us.

We owned a very small shanty. How time flies? Until now, my family lives in that area. Life then was really hard for us. My dad was an energetic carpenter and his earnings of course kept my family survive. Other than that, he would spend all his money on drinking. As far as I remember, he would come home from work always drunk and my mom would always carry the burden of borrowing money from our relatives and neighbors so we can buy a kilo of rice. Most of the time we would have dinner without having any main dish. I and my brothers, (we were just four then)came up with our favorite food combinations. I liked soy sauce and some used cooking oil or lard with rice, my older brother prefered salt, water and rice. We were lucky if there were some sugar in the small jar which eventually got broken when my dad got wild once he came home drunk.

No comments: