Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hepatitis : A or B?


This is the continuation of the post A Bloated Pimple Then A Sty

I must have overslept. The new year bash kept me busy and deprived of several hours of sleep. It was past one in the afternoon but I was still lying in bed at the office. I just arrived in Manila from a four-day vacation back home in my hometown. Must have been really tired the night before. That was the first week of January.

A little later as I was about to get out of bed, the door to my room opened. It was my boyfriend. "Don't you have a class? Get out of bed, your students must be waiting for you." I was really, really tired that my eyes woudn't even open. My boyfriend kept tugging me. "My first class is more than an hour from now, I still want more sleep," I replied. Just as I was turning over, and was trying really hard to open my eyes, "Why are your eyes yellow?" he blurted. I didn't mind him. He might just have been so desperate forcing me out of bed.

He came closer and started opening my eyelids. He looked closer and with some expression of worries, said, "Your eyes are really yellow, wake up and see your self in the mirror." I quickly got up, stared at him nervously, and went to where the small circular mirror was. I kept thinking to myself that he was just kidding trying so hard to get me out of bed.

When I reached for the mirror, I paused, I felt like I didn't want to see the reality. I didn't put it right in front of my face. "What if he was right?" I just thought.

When I gathered my composure, I stared directly at my eyes. I instantly trembled at the sight of what I thought was the end of my happy days. My boyfriend was right, my eyes indeed turned yellow. I quickly went to the bathroom and washed my face immediately focusing on my eyes. I started thinking of many things. The first thing which came to my mind was "HEPATITIS". It couldn't be. My mind woudn't settle to accept such a disease. I was in denial. I never had sex with anybody other than my boyfriend. He doesn't have the disease. I could have been careless with my diet. So many thoughts, I was in paranoia. Oh, and we just had overeaten some pizza yesterday and I over indulged myself with platefuls of spaghetti at the cafeteria. I was restless.

I thought of other diseases that could have been associated with it. What if it were associated with AIDS? I was so scared. Who would look after my younger sister, my family? "This is my doom." I guessed. Then, my mind took me back to a time when most people in my neighborhood talked about hepatitis and dreaded the disease. I saw some people with it. It made me remember the time I didn't even want to drink water though I was thirsty when I was once invited at their homes. I felt some kind of contempt within me when I looked into their yellow eyes. How could have they contracted the disease? They must not have had good hygiene. Gosh, I was too judgmental then.

That same week on the weekend, we went to a private hospital. I was found positive of the hepa virus...

/Stumble This /Fave This On Technorati/

8 comments:

paisley said...

what strain????... i have c and have for years... no problems or complications... just have it... so do millions of other people... you would never suspect...it is not in any way shape or form a death sentence,, and is not transfered sexually.. it is a blood borne virus... i cannot say if i got it from IV drugs or tattoos and piercings... but i can say it has between little and no effect on my life style... but maybe that is just me.....

Anonymous said...

i know of someone who got hepatitis, too ...

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

{{{HUGS!!!!}}} I was vaccinated for one type of Hepatitis because of my prior work as a dental hygienist. It was a three shot series.

Hugs, JJ

morinn said...

oh but it is not that bad! as paisley said, many people are able to live with that!

LORD MANILA STONE said...

thanks guys, i will be writing another post about this, for the meantime, thanks a lot for all the comments and concerns,sorry for keeping you wait guys and always my big thanks for checking this out^^

NafaSg said...

Hi..there...excellent post..you have here ..interesting..would love to xchange link with you. do drop by...my blog..thanks... keep up the great work cheers =)

Staggo"s List said...

I would like to know more, if you choose to share. I work in the health care system. Though I am far from an authority, I do know some. Which hepatitis were you diagnosed with? Share if you wish. There are a lot of people who care, even if most don't post comments.

LORD MANILA STONE said...

hi staggo, thanks a lot for the concern, i really appreciate it, i already have the draft of my post about it, i will be posting it a few hours from now, thank you so much^^